Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Populuxe" by Thomas Hine



I have another book to feature that I have enjoyed for a few years now. Many years ago when my husband of 20 years, of which I have known him for 24 years, shared a house with 3 other guys. One of his roommates had this book laying on their not so pristine carpeted floor in the living room. I picked it up immediately as I was drawn in by the gorgeous tail finned car on the cover. I still remember flipping through this book and saying "Oh, my parents had this" and "My aunt had this" and "Oh, I remember this like it was yesterday". Well, I got married and this former roommate was visiting our house one day long after the days of the carpeted living room floor. I asked if he still had the book. He said he did but long forgot about it. He believed it was in a box along with many books he had not thought of in a long time. The next thing I knew, he brought it to me to look at. That was probably eight years ago, and I had to admit, I still have it in my possession. Granted he never said I could keep it. I did not want to keep it. I just do not see him enough to remember to give it back. When we do get together, I honestly forget I have it. I have pulled it out many time to sift through the great deal of text explanations it offers. I has a fair share of photos, but not as many as I would like, but enough. It is a glorious book if you are a fan of styles from the 1950s and 1960s. Thank you Thomas Hine for creating this book. Thank you Elmer for sharing your book with me for all these years. I must get my own copy and give you back yours. There. I put this confession on the internet. Now I must make everything right. and give you back yours. There. I put this confession on the internet. Now I must make everything right.

No comments:

Post a Comment