Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Coffee. Chemex. Captivating.


I finally own one of these beautiful, novel coffee creators. I first learned of this ingenious device about a year and a half ago. I was searching the internet for a gasket replacement for my stovetop espresso brewer my sister gave me. Somehow, I clicked on something that lead me to this item. I learned that these were invented about a during WWII by a man named Peter J. Schlumbohm Ph.D. It left me curious about not only how does it make coffee, but why would you want to have one? Then, little by little, I kept thinking, "Wow, I should look for one." I searched on ebay and found a few. The only problem was they were pretty pricey for another novelty and why do I need another method in which to brew coffee? Then, I saw one at Williams-Sonoma last fall. They still make them. They have manufactured and sold them ever since Dr. Schlumbohn invented it! Still, too, why do I really need one? So, I turned away. Then, I was at an estate sale last week and found one for $1. The bonus was it came with the original instruction booklet! Well, this time I did not turn away. Now I just have to get filters for it. Luckily Williams-Sonoma sells those too! Now I can enjoy the novelty and the coffee it brews too.

2 comments:

  1. A Melitta! I had one of those back in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of one of these! How cool you were able to track it down by happenstance at an estate sale. Now you just need to complete the set with the cigarette holder and kettle from the top picture! That kettle looks like something out of Lost in Space (ie looks like my dream kettle). Keep us posted on how he brews when you get him up and going!

    ReplyDelete