Sunday, March 18, 2012

Looking Like a Movie Star

My last post got me inspired to look at other photos of my mom from her
younger years. She has a collection of these professionally mastered
beauties of herself. I asked her many years ago if she got dolled up just for
the picture and she said "No. We all dressed like that!" Of course you all did.
Why did that have to stop? She also said there were special offers of free 8x10
photos given by various photographic studios. They were to bring in
new business with the hope they could sell a lot more photos. That has
not changed! So, she took advantage of these offers and due to her budget,
stopped at the free 8x10. Of which she has quite a few! Lucky for us! I
guess it also had something to do to the fact most women of her era
loved the movies and the stars that were made from that industry.
My mom tells me she had quite a large collection of "Screen Guide" and

"Photo Play" magazines. So much so my grandfather threw them away
when she was supposed to be doing chores or studying or something
other than looking through her boxed collection that sat atop her wardrobe.
Oh, if they only still existed! She most likely would have thrown them
out on her own one day when she had a family. But, we will never know
for sure. I like to think she would have kept them. I know she does too!

No comments:

Post a Comment