Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Book I Discovered




























Along the road while collecting my stash of LIFE magazines, my mom and sister remind of a stack of odd LIFE and LOOK magazines that were stored on a shelf in mom's basement. I brought it home and slowly began looking through them in the evenings. Among the stack was an excerpt from this book "My Life With Jacqueline
Kennedy" by Mary Barelli Gallagher. WHAT? Really? I read it and then I wondered if the book was still available. So, off to Amazon I went. It was there! In the used section! I snapped it up for $1.74 plus $3.99 shipping! Really? $1.74? Wow. It arrived in much better condition than the above stock photo from the internet. Plus, it is such a lovely shade of blue!
It is not gripping page turner. Sort of mundane daily routines of her day. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this narrative. I hear a voice I have made up to be what Mary sounds like to me. A Bostonian accent with the poise, polish and etiquette of the 1950's and 1960's.
Then I went to my friend Youtube to see if there was anything. Well, there was something! An interview with Barbara Walters regarding this very same book! Oh boy! It is not of the best quality by any means. It is crude by today's standards. The sound is poor, the film is blurred. It does not matter though. This was captured and is now on youtube. Oh boy!


Then my mind went into the present day. What ever happened to Mrs. Gallagher after this book launch? I know she was a wife and a mother to two sons. They would be about my age today. How did she live the rest of the years until now? Is she even still alive? Has she resurfaced of late with the 50 years anniversary of President Kennedy's short term in office and the publication of Jackie's audio interview with historian Arthur Schelsinger, Jr.

The only really current item I could find was a link to an auction. Note this auction took place in 2003. So where is Mrs. Gallagher today? I hope she is still alive, healthy and continued to live a wonderful life. I hope she was able to share her memories with everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fascinating time that must have been for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eartha, Mary mentioned Jackie would many times have her take a large amount of adult and children's clothes to the Goodwill store. She was told by Jackie the see if there were any items she might want. Mary did take some items she and her sons could use. Can you imagine? I can't even begin! Amazing! Knowing a little about how much you adore vintage, this must just send your brain soaring! But at the time, none of the goods were vintage, but they were Jackie's! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, here's a tidbit. About 24 years ago I was fascinated by his book. So much so, I called directory assistance and found Mary Barelli Galkaghers phone number. After a glass of wine I caled. Had an interesting conversation with she and her husband Ray. She sent me an autographed book plate for my copy, a mass card from JFKs funeral, also autographed and a very nice letter. She said she was more stunned than anyone when Mrs Kennedy married Onassis. Book, in retrospect, may seem catty but after speaking with her, at length, I feelshe was more hurt than anything else. Pleasant lady and her husband seemed very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, here's a tidbit. About 24 years ago I was fascinated by his book. So much so, I called directory assistance and found Mary Barelli Galkaghers phone number. After a glass of wine I caled. Had an interesting conversation with she and her husband Ray. She sent me an autographed book plate for my copy, a mass card from JFKs funeral, also autographed and a very nice letter. She said she was more stunned than anyone when Mrs Kennedy married Onassis. Book, in retrospect, may seem catty but after speaking with her, at length, I feelshe was more hurt than anything else. Pleasant lady and her husband seemed very nice.

    ReplyDelete