Monday, March 5, 2012

Crazy for the New York World's Fair



Imagine my genuine glee and happiness when I searched youtube after reading an article from a "LIFE" magazine featuring the 1964 New York World's Fair. This little gem, along with a succession of 5 other installments, popped up! I found this on a lazy, cold, sunny Saturday afternoon when I had nothing planned. I sat down with a cup of coffee close at hand, my cat at my feet, the sun streaming in and viola! I was immediately transported in my current 50 year old body into the fairground in Queens, NY. I imagined myself in cat eye glasses, bermuda shorts, and a sleeveless blouse. Of course, I had a Kodak Brownie camera. Better, yet, I had a Brownie camera and a Brownie movie camera too! Alas, I was in reality just a little over two years old, living in Michigan. My parents were far removed from the events at the fair. I doubt they even knew it was going on. If they did, they did not put much thought into it. My in-laws on the other hand, were in attendance. They were a short train ride away from neighboring Connecticut. Arvo was just about seven months old. He did not go, but his parents did! They even have some film taken on their Brownie camera to mark the occasion. It is amazing when I take a moment to realize these facts. I am further amazed that I now have the luxury to have found not only this story which happened during my lifetime, but to have even the slightest connection to people I know that were there. Brownie camera and all! The film transports you to another time, when life seemed very simple and yet so promising. Wonders. Wonders, I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment