Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Woodward Cruise

Well, the calendar turned over a new page revealing it is now the month of August.  It is the time when my kids start to realize the end of the summer is approaching.  They count the days left and reassure themselves they still have time.  Time for lounging.  Time for fun.  Time for nothing.  Except when they enter the age of high school.  If you are a student in our district with the ability to learn from an advance class of math, science, history or English, then there is summer homework.  Yes.  Summer homework.  So, now that my kids are of high school age, they count the days of back to school by how much of this work they still need to complete.  Talk about Sunday night anxiety that now is spread through the entire amount of last free days of summer vacation.

Two weeks ago it was time for the annual Woodward Cruise.  It was a gorgeous Saturday for the event.  There were a lot of people enjoying the day along the Cruise route.  Along with the cruise is the fast approaching end of summer vacation.
This dire thought leads me into my reason why the Woodward Cruise originated.  Certainly, this is only my view on why this cruise takes place when it does.  It is usually the third Saturday in August.  Of course, over the span of its existence, the one day evolved to the entire week before.  Now, I am told the classic cars have been out and about all summer on any given night, provided the weather is good.



Of course, we have two classic cars to call our own.  With one child being able to drive now, they can be in one and I can be a passenger in the other, taking pictures as we cruise.  This photo shows the kids in the Corvette.  Adam is in there, turned away from the photographer.  He does that a lot lately.
My Mister and I were in the Camaro.  A bright yellow one.  Like Bumble Bee in the Transformers movie.  You have to trust me on this.  I can't seem to find the picture of it right now.  As I go to post this, the Cruise is just another memory.  I am lamenting the fact next year Erica will be thinking of going off to college and not wanting to drive the Corvette.  No worries.  Adam will be there to take the wheel.  Unless, she won't let him.  Good-bye Woodward.  Until next year.  Classic cars are a thing of beauty.  There will never be anymore like them.  Ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment