Sunday, February 22, 2009

When green and frugality meet a Ralph Lauren sheet.

This full size sheet was at one point, along with its identical twin, in their existence, a duvet cover for Erica's down comforter.  She changed the decor of her room and these sheets sat folded and alone in a darkened closet.  They were recently discovered, separated by a human with a seam ripper and one's existence was repurposed into three useful and decorative new human items:  an ironing board cover,a culinary apron, and a re-useable bag for STUFF.  Yes, its true.  It all started with the ugly ironing board cover previously owned by the household.   All the ones for purchase in the store just did not appeal to me.  Boring really.  Let's face it, if you must iron, at least let the idea of opening up the board should  be a joyful event instead of just thinking of  it for was it is, ironing.  Yes, some people do enjoy the event.  I admit, there is instant gratification of seeing the wrinkles disappear before your eyes.  However, to begin the entire process of ironing can be all the more unenjoyable if you are first greeted with something  pleasing to your eye.  There was a lot of extra threads left from the Ralph print that I could not waste it.  So, next was  to create a pretty apron to nicely compliment my love to create great foods to share and eat.  My current Williams-Sonoma model is a nice shade of my favorite color blue, but let me admit, it is not pretty. The new model has a nice kangaroo pocket embellished with a very chic ruffle to hold a dish cloth for wiping my hands.   This is a great convenience.  Still, too many threads left to waste after this item.  Then I remember in the September '08 issue of Body and Soul magazine, there were directions for turning a pillow case into a re-useable bag.  You can see how this connection was made: sheet, pillowcase. Of course, I had to make a pillowcase out of the leftover threads, only to cut it and shape it into its new repurposed state.  If nothing else, the meeting of green, frugality and Ralph gave me SOMETHING to blog about.  This keeps the creativity, typing, computer and writing skills up.  Plus, it is FUN,  as stated as my original intention for keeping a blog in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment